Thursday, December 4, 2008

'Tis the Season



Last night the kids decorated the gingerbread house. I hate them so they are not a temptation to me. I do, however, love almost all other holiday foods. I think of them throughout the year and long for the pumpkin pie and snack mix and homemade carmels that symbolize the Christmas time for me. I have many days blocked out for parties and other events that will have delicious opportunities to eat. It is only December 4th. I even have the candy for the stockings purchased. All my favorites are waiting in the closet for their turn. I love food!

My husband doesn't get excited about food the way I do. He has no concept of how much I look forward to the yumminess. I think of events and look forward to the food almost more than the people I will see, that is how much I like it. I secretly think I have a different DNA strand than others because I enjoy food so much.

I went to my Weight Watchers meeting today (I have been a member since spring of 2005). I am at a healthy weight and I plan to balance my food love with my desire to have my clothes fit next month. In the meeting there are other food lovers like me. We try hard to eat the right amount of food and support each other. The most important thing I get out of the meetings is the accountability. I have to stand on a scale and look at the number. I can go for weeks in denial, eating too much, and not face it. Weight Watchers taught me that I need to face reality if I had any plans of changing things.

This time of year I really miss my mom. She loved Christmas and was always sewing and creating many gifts in preparation for the big day. She had many health problems due in great part to choices she made with food. I want to be around for MANY years to come. I want to see my kids have grey hair and I want to hold my great grandkids. In order for this to happen I am taking measures now to ensure my body's strength and health for years to come.

Maybe some of you are looking to make a change in the new year. I have some friends that are giving up on things until after January 1. They say it is too hard to diet in the mean time. I have learned I can do hard things. Starting now or starting next month doesn't really matter. Starting is the important thing. I want my family members and loved ones to live a long time with me. Please take care of yourself... I don't know how I could make it without you. :)

Cindy

1 comment:

Sara said...

I agree completely! I know I have a long way (and a baby) before I will reach my goal weight but I think the most important thing is to not give up. The other day Lexi said to me, "Mom when I am a Mommy you will be dead." I asked her why she thinks that and she said, "Because your Mom is dead" It made me very sad. I hope that I can take care of myself and live to be a great-great grandma!