Friday, February 13, 2009

I have been so busy living life I haven't posted in a while...



Hello,

I thought I would just make a big post to get you caught up on what I have been up to.

My last post was on Christmas and the day after I put all the Christmas crap out on the table. This was the amount of food that is not normally in our home. It was delicious but as you can see it is way more than we need. I thought a lot about how much I have as compared with other less fortunate people.

The Sunday after Christmas we drove to Washington and spent a couple of days with Sara and family and Tracy. We had been planning the trip for a part of our Christmas present. The weather was so bad the days just before and just after Christmas we were sure we would have to cancel the trip. Ken went to get the kids that Sunday morning and there was a break in the weather... so we decided to go. We were packed and on the road within 3 hours. (a pretty mean feat for a party of 6). We drove straight through (via Portland) with a quick stop in Hermiston for lunch. We arrived a little after 8 pm local time. We spent the next day recuperating and then we drove to Port Angeles, Washington and took the ferry to Victoria, BC CANADA!We visited all the sights including Butchart Gardens (which was pretty even under all the ice) and the Parliament Building. This picture of Butchart Gardens was taken though a viewing window to a greenhouse. It was 32 degrees out and we walked all over the place. We drove out to see The Aerie (a really cool place that we might have stayed if we did not have the kids). We stayed at a lovely hotel called Harbour Towers. We had a room larger than just about every apartment I have ever lived in. Our room had a harbour view and 2 bedrooms (with doors) and 1 1/2 bathrooms. We even had a balcony, kitchen and dining room with a table and chairs. The first evening we shopped for groceries and proceeded to eat all but our last meal there at the room. We enjoyed all the things at the grocery store that we don't have here. Ken took a photo of two things we don't have:

Smarties called Rockets and M&M's called Smarties. We also got Dill chips and tiny Lindt truffles, each of the kids got to pick something Canadian at the store that we don't have here. Some of them were good things others...not so much.

We returned to Washington on Brady's birthday (Jan 1) and drove back to Sara's. We hung out there for another day and then drove home. It was a fun trip. We also learned that our kids are old enough that we can survive in the car all day with just stops for gas and one stop to eat lunch.

Since returning home I had planned to post about my new years resolution and other thoughts. I did think about the new year and some goals that I want to accomplish. So far, I have worked most on Ken & my goal to prepare a larger food storage for our family. I have done pretty well at this goal. I purchased shelves and rearranged our home to bring the storage we had in from the garage. I have organized more and put so much more out in the garage. I wonder if we truly need all the things that we have. We moved all the kids toys into the back room at our home and they have been earning them back at a rate of one a day (if they are good). I think whatever is left on the 5th of March should go to the DI. Clearly we don't need so much. Funny thing is - the kids haven't missed the majority of the things in there.

Tomorrow is Kayla's birthday and I am making her an Oreo cake. Two layers of chocolate cake with vanilla custard in the middle and frosted with vanilla frosting with crushed Oreos on the top. It should be yummy. She is turning 11 this year. That is a little jarring to me. She is nearly as tall as me and we have the same size shoe.

This week I have been doing some spring cleaning. I cleaned my carpets. Whomever decided to put carpet in the dining room should be shot. That is the worst area to clean.

A couple of weeks ago I visited a friend of mine that bakes all of her own bread. I had previously discarded the idea as too much work and not any value for my time. After all it is just 88 cents a loaf at Winco. She informed me that she bakes for 12.5 cents a loaf and it isn't full of preservatives or high fructose corn syrup. I gathered all the recipes I have and I have baked my own bread for the past three weeks. It is delicious, if I may say so myself.

Last year I was called to work with the Cub Scouts in our area. I have not really looked forward to this job for the most part because it is a real challenge to get all of my kids taken care of and pick up 4 other boys and make it back to the church on time for things to start. It ends up being a lot of work. I have learned that I usually just learn to love something and things change. I do not love this thing yet so it remains.

Today the kids were out of school for some reason. It seems they are out of school a lot on days that are not holidays. Kayla had the idea to make valentines and cookies and deliver them to the nursing home down the road. We drove over while dinner was cooking in the oven. We arrived just as the residents were gathered in the dining room. We went around to the tables and offered cookies and the kids distributed valentines with Disney Princesses and Transformers and Madeline, made out to Grandma and Grandpa. The people were so happy to see us. One lady asked Bastian for a hug. One guy had me wheel him down to his room so he could get stickers for all the kids. They were really sweet.

Happy Valentines Day to all of you! We went out on a date last week and we have the kids all day tomorrow. We will be celebrating at home. Plus we have Kayla's birthday party and a special dinner planned.

I am really excited about 2009. I am not thrilled about the state of the world/government/economy/and our future kazillion trillion bazillion dollar national debt. I am happy with my family, our home, our future. :)

No comments: